Eurostar Case Study
Eurostar Case Study
“NetCourier made a positive impact on our sales and customer relations.”
David Bridges, Management Team
Eurostar International Limited – The high speed rail service that links the UK with various destinations across the European mainland. Their consistently high levels of punctuality, speed, convenience and ease of border crossing means that Eurostar are now recognised as one of the fastest and most reliable national and international courier services available. Evidence of their on-going success comes from achievements including the Train Operator of the Year Award, the HSBC Rail Award and the Best Train Company Award from The Guardian and Observer.
The Euro Despatch Centre (Eurostar’s purpose built handling Centre), frustrated by their previ- ous supplier, decided to replace their existing system with Metafour’s courier software. Eurostar required a system with varied and high functionality based upon their nu- merous service options and reservation facilities. More specifically, a system package was required with the following functionality:
- The ability to comprehensively organise consign- ment transportation from St. Pancras Internation- al in London to Paris and Brussels. Consignments required point to point tracking.
- To manage group baggage check in, collection and transportation from St. Pancras to various customer destinations across Europe.
- To offer customers the opportunity to reserve and transport bicycles from destination to destination. With a rising trend in the number of inner city cy- clists throughout Eurostar’s destinations, the company required a system that would allow cus- tomers to pre-book the necessary storage re- quired to transfer their bicycles.
- With an ever increasing number of customers us- ing Eurostar to cross the channel it stands to rea- son that the amount of lost property on their ser- vices increased. Eurostar required a means of organising any recovered property; record inquir- ies from customers; cross reference inquiries with logged items; and a means of returning items to their rightful owners.
- An interface through which select clients can book Eurostar international courier services online.
- Promote fluidity and continuity of information between staff at all levels.
- Consignments can be booked either via a web-based interface using pre-populated data or via telephone depending upon the preference of the customer. Once on-board the progress of the consignment is tracked until its arrival at the desired destination and the job is logged as complete.
- Groups and individuals with excess baggage are able to check in baggage en-masse using Metafour’s courier software. The system al- lows customers to register their luggage at one terminal and collect it within 24 hours at their destination.
- A specific Lost Property module has been developed that allows Eurostar to log and manage the following: customer inquiries, matched items, found items, abandoned items, posted and couriered items, as well as a searchable record of all previous jobs.
- Customers who wish to travel with bicycles can now reserve a space on the same train they are travelling on.
- Information can be accessed by all necessary users throughout the company, increasing both efficiency and the reliabil-ity of all aspects of jobs management.
- Functionality including emailing and invoice management, processing sales and cost tariffs, tracking and retrieving anynecessary POD information is available
- NetCourier’s a powerful search facility which allows Eurostar to review any job that they have processed throughout any of the modules in the courier system.
- NetCourier is delivered with full training. Metafour offer support, maintenance and development as a service. The Lost Property module was developed as bespoke international courier software.
Eurostar are unique in the services they offer. The increased functionality and fluidity that Metafour’s international courier software has added to Eurostar has helped to further secure the niche market role that they have monopolised. Combined with NetCourier, Eurostar has bolstered their unique selling point and further secured their position against any emerging competition.